This will contain spoilers. You have been warned.
Okay, well, I’ve started the book at this point (I still own a copy), but I’ve only read to chapter three, which is Cassette 2, Side A.
I’m so much more interested in the show. Like, immensely. I want to watch the show more than I want to read the book right now, so that’s what I’m going to do.
Since both the show and the book seem to correlate, with each episode being a side and each chapter being a side, I’ll try to keep it even by reading a chapter and then watching the corresponding episode. It might not work out fully, but I can already tell that they took a lot of liberties with the show when translating from the book.
Thankfully, I feel like they’re actually really good decisions, considering the media change. I wouldn’t necessarily have changed them in the book, because they work pretty well as they are as a book, but they changes they did make I think were a really good idea due to the change in media.
… Did that make sense? I hope it did.
Anyway, it’s time to liveblog. Dun dun duuuuuun.
- They’ve really got a disturbingly great handle on these openings.
- Ouch, that scar’s not looking too fantastic.
- I guess it’s only been like a day though.
- Two days?
- Definitely faster than the book, but I’m a-okay with that.
- Uh oh, Clay.
- This is making me kind of hungry.
- Such product placement.
- Good shot, but man. Them Beats.
- Whoops, got lost in the watching again.
- They changed Side B of the first tape? Maybe for continuity, I’m not sure yet.
- I just know the second person isn’t the same person they’re now talking about.
- I don’t know why I’m being vague when I’ve already warned for spoilers.
- Is it weird I get the students with this counselor here but I also understand where the poor counselor is coming from.
- Teaching is hard okay
- she’s trying
- Counseling is no doubt harder
- she’s trying.
- Okay, the name thing was funny.
- It’s still funny.
- Okay pause so I can read chapter three and know wtf I’m missing here.
- Okay back.
- I like Alex.
- I mean I don’t like Alex, but like.
- I like his aesthetic.
- Ya feel?
- Don’t know how he’s going to get away with that nose ring in school but
- Bet you he will.
- That transition
- did u even try
- Buddy pls
- Alex is gay?
- I’m not going to list them all, okay, he’s something. I think.
- Does this get revealed later in the book, I can’t remember.
- I mean, he made that list in the book. What did he do here?
- Holy hell this makes me want some coffee
- but it’s like 9:30
- Hmmmm. This doesn’t rule out all of those I said before.
- Jessica did say something about a boy in leather though so.
- Whoa. You go Clay.
- The whole cheer thing is kind of boring.
- Is this kid in the tapes?
- I know I’m probably getting annoying asking instead of reading, but, hey.
- This is my liveblog.
- This wasn’t in chapter two or three.
- I do seriously enjoy all these interactive scenes we get with Clay, though.
- I know they’re not like the book at all, but I really enjoy getting to see more of what’s going on and more action from Clay himself.
- Dayuuuuum that’s a nice house.
- I want to walk around that house.
- Yes. I like this scene with Clay and Tony. I like it a lot.
- Seeing all the different perspectives instead of just Clay’s is wrecking havoc on my feelings towards this whole thing.
- They did a good job.
- So far, anyway.
- I really like how you find out about the list via her parents instead of the tapes.
- I can’t words how much I’m enjoying these changes, and, like most bookworms, I tend to loathe when people change things.
- This, though. This is good.
- Um, what.
- I mean, I know the secret, but what.
- What a way to put that little twist in, damn.
- Another good song choice.
- And there’s the end.
I love it. This may be a 13-part feature of me saying how much I’m enjoying this series. I can’t emphasize enough how well I think they managed this story, especially with what they had to work with.
The book is good, and I remember really enjoying the story because of the twists and everything, but the visuals of the show kill it.
Here’s hoping they all go this well.
Thanks for reading!
5 thoughts on “13 Reasons Why: Episode 2 || Liveblog + Review”
I’m really enjoying this. It’s great. Also, I meant to tell you last time that the show will not follow the same order as the book exactly. But that’s all I’ll say cause I don’t want to spoil anything…..
Thank you!! And, oh no, do you recommend I should just read the book in whole before continuing?
If you’re a “read the book first” kind of person then yes. You don’t HAVE to but since you were doing both at the same time I would say read it and then compare!
Okay, cool! Thank you 😀